EducationI'm currently working on my Master's in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at San Francisco State University. I taught English in China for a year. I have taught both one-on-one and small groups of 5 to 6 students since 2008, both young children and adults. I'm also experienced in teaching composition (aka college writing) to university students.
ExperienceBesides the following skills, I've also tutored private clients ESL, Vietnamese, Test Prep, and Photoshop.
Instructor III (2015 - present)
• Teach English to adult immigrants and refugees
Residential Teacher (Summer 2015)
SGJ Summer Camp, San Diego, CA
• Taught English to international teenagers
• Prepared classes using personal teaching materials
• Supervised on-site activities and excursions
English Tutor (2014)
San Francisco State University, CA
• Provide English reading and writing tutorial services for low-income first generation college students in their first and second year of college
• Facilitate and track tutorial sessions with each student
Adventure Time Extended Day Care, Oakland, CA
• Planned projects & teach them to Kindergarteners through 5th graders
• Supervised children both indoors and outdoors
• Maintained a clean and safe environment for the children
EFL Teacher (2012)
Smile English School, Yinchuan, Ningxia, China
• Built rapport with students (ages 6 to 21) and their parents
• Created friendly and encouraging English learning and teaching environment with activities, songs, pictures, and PowerPoint slides
• Designed daily lesson plans according to the school’s curriculum and the students’ ages to consolidate their oral and written skills
Unit Leader Summer, 2010; 2011
Girl Scouts of Northern California, Fairfax, CA
Girl Scouts of Alaska, Wasilla, AK
• Develop and coordinate unit activities for the campers.
• Help campers learn to respect the rights and differences of others.
• Supervise the unit staff and the campers in carrying out their responsibilities.
• Submit report at the end of season.
ESL Classroom Internship (2010)
California State University, Sacramento, CA
• Work side by side with host professor and students
• Design a lesson to teach the class
• Respond to students’ writing assignments
• Take notes and write reflections about each session
AVID Tutor (2009)
Sacramento County Office of Education
• Assist AVID students in developing personal pride.
• Collaborate with AVID teachers to provide middle/high school students with academic support in small learning groups of rigorous courses.
• Encourage students to enroll in four-year colleges and universities after high school graduation.
After School Tutor (2009)
Greater Sacramento Urban League, Sacramento, CA
• Provide assistance to high school juniors and seniors to pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE)
• Encourage ninth to twelfth graders to apply for colleges
• Assist students in the social development program
Greer Elementary School, Sacramento, CA (2008)
Del Paso Manor Elementary School, Sacramento, CA (2008)
• Introduce and create mathematical teaching/learning environment that uses a variety of teaching strategies
• Set up mathematic activities and resources to work with students of diverse abilities
• Select, administer, and interpret informal assessment tools to access student’s understanding of mathematics
• Help students solve real-world problems using mathematical reasoning and concrete, verbal, symbolic, and graphic representations
HobbiesI like to learn about different cultures, especially their beliefs and languages. The best way to do this is through travelling. One item I have never left behind on my trips is my camera. I love taking professional pictures of basically everything from nature to cityscape, from food to people in actions. On the weekends, I'm a freelance wedding photographer. Here's my website: http://phanlphotography.weebly.com/
Client Reviews (1)
Phan is a terrific tutor! And she is truly a language expert. She is very patient and fun and is excellent at guiding my pronunciation (not easy with a tonal language). Phan makes a detailed lesson plan for each session to fit her short term and long term plan for my learning. I am still surprised with each lesson at how much she manages to teach me and how simple she makes it.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.